Overview of Position
Our early childhood development and education programmes are crucial for assisting children and their caregivers to set solid educational foundations, in order for learners to combat the low quality of education that is prevalent in the area. The Education Co-ordinator will oversee, strengthen and expand the Foundation’s education programmes that are detailed below. This is a fulltime position with remuneration depending on qualifications and experience.
General Roles and Responsibilities
- Managing the day-to-day running of the various education programmes
- Oversee monitoring and evaluation
- Manage programme budgets
- Compile funders reports and applications with the assistance of the Operations Manager
- Provide training, support and mentoring to the programme staff
- Oversee procurement of resources for all programmes
- Strategic planning for moving the programmes forward, liaising with potential partners and/or funders.
- Expanding the programmes as opportunities and funding allow and ensuring each element of the education programme is integrated with each other
- Support the teachers in liaising with various stakeholders (e.g. landlord, Department of Social Development, Lunchbox feeding programme etc.).
- Work with and support local schools as well as collaborating with other local NGOs
- Advocate for Jabulani and the importance of Early Childhood Education opportunities
Programme Specific Responsibilities
- Provide on-site support and mentorship to the teachers.
- Assist the teachers on occasion with weekly/daily activity planning.
- Support teachers with the organization of classroom and implementation of the Montessori curriculum.
- Assist teachers with the administration of running the ECD Centres (e.g. registration and reconciling school fees received).
Ikhaya Lencwadi (Zithulele Community Library)
- Promote literacy through events with local schools.
- Assist the librarian with administrative tasks when needed.
- Maintain systems for effective cataloguing of books and lending of books.
ECD in the Home
- Accompany the community workers on occasional home visits, for the purpose of supervision and support.
- Help plan community workshops and assist ECD community workers with day-to-day planning.
- Assist with data capturing.
- Assist with weekly planning and record keeping.
- Assist with planning and organising fun, interactive, educational events.
Training Provision and Professional Development
- Weekly training for teachers on ECD topics, school management and computer literacy.
- Organise training opportunities with external trainers when needed.
Send a Child to School Bursary Initiative
- Liaise with the Zithulele Independent School staff team regarding the progress of pupils funded through the programme.
- Creating awareness, fundraising and reporting on the programme.
Requirements for the role
- Willingness to commit to living and working in remote, rural settings
- BEd Foundation phase qualification is essential
- Montessori certificate/diploma would be advantageous
- Passionate about improving education outcomes in South Africa
- Experience in planning, coordinating and evaluating activities, projects and informal educational programmes within the private, public or NGO sector
- Ability to work constructively within a small team
- Excellent written and spoken English communication skills
- Ability to speak isiXhosa would be advantageous
- Valid driving licence
- A recent police clearance certificate
- Fully computer literate with MS Office, internet and email
- Self-motivated and able to work under own initiative, proactive and flexible
- Ability to network effectively and liaise with multiple partners and stakeholders
- Strong facilitation and training skills, with experience working with groups of teachers
- Strong interpersonal skills with good cultural sensitivity
How to apply
Each application should include: a CV (max 3 pages - please also include 2 contactable references) and a letter of motivation (max 1 page). You should motivate specifically for the position you are applying for and also detail your interest and suitability to work at Jabulani.
Applications must be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date: Wednesday 14 November 2018